Did you know?
Speech Pathologists have a role in supporting mental health!! A speech pathologist’s role is to assist to improve a person’s communication and swallowing so they can function physically, socially, and mentally across multiple environments. We are an important part of the mental health team!
People who access mental health services often have conditions including (but not limited to):
- Mood Disorders
- Attachment and Personality Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Behavioural Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Intellectual Disability
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Progressive neurological diseases
We can provide intervention to improve communication, cognitive-communication and swallowing for individuals with mental illness by:
- Providing individual and/or group therapy to develop an individual’s speech, language, fluency, cognitive-communication and social communication abilities;
- Working together with other professionals to ensure communication challenges are considered and approached appropriately for the person’s care; including other mental health clinicians, teachers, doctors, nurses, support workers, etc.
- Working with parents and caregivers to assist the person with mental illness to communicate their needs effectively and participate in activities of daily living.
- Assisting a person to actively participate and communicate effectively with their treating clinicians and care.
- Establishing safe and effective eating, drinking and swallowing practices to help make sure people have adequate hydration and nutrition, and reduce risks of choking and aspiration pneumonia.
- Advocating for a person’s right to communicate their needs.
- Supporting infant, child and adult mental health challenges.
Our speech pathologists at National 360 are a group of passionate individuals who bring a range of knowledge to the disability space. We are fortunate to have a diverse knowledge base within our team and often collaborate to ensure great outcomes for our participants.
Contact our friendly team today to find out more about our services 1300 340 440.